My goal in this post is to help all you wonderful senders and supporters get a more realistic picture of missionary life.
To understand where missionaries can be coming from, read “Quandaries our Missionaries Face” in EMQ, April 2013.
These quandaries will let you know the tough things your missionaries may be facing.
Imagine saying these things in your head every day.
- What have I done; what have I gotten into?
- I really don’t belong here; why did I come?
- I am tired and stressed out.
- I am afraid and often feel panicky.
- I feel so hurt and can’t get over it.
- I feel very alone and distant from God.
- I don’t feel well and miss my family and friends.
“What have I done? What have I gotten into?” were questions that crippled me most mornings early in my missionary life. In particular, I remember looking at my infant soon and saying to myself: “I have ruined his life by bringing him here.”
These are really tough problems. My goal is not to depress you, but to let you know how badly missionaries need your prayers. Be aware that these problems aren’t the types of things you would typically hear about in a prayer letter.